Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bogota Marzo 22, 2011






First weekend here, today is Tuesday morning after a Monday holiday. I had a family birthday celebration yesterday of one of the many nephews. There are four aunts that I have met so far in the four days here. As everywhere I have traveled in S. America, most family members live within short walking distance of each other. The parents, two siblings, and variety of other family or near family live in adjacent apartment buildings to mine.

Night before the celebration I observed, and helped un poco the birthday meal celebration. It was a lasagna type meal, layers of red meat sauce, two cheeses, chicken, mushrooms, and white sauce, randomly layered without formula. Preparation involved six women ranging in age from six to seventy plus in an apartment sized kitchen. The event itself was a full blown family affair, with special friends, crowded into the living area. The meal was muy delicioso. The cutting of the birthday cake was preceded by Happy Birthday in English, but with Spanish accent, then with a Spanish idiom version which I could not follow quickly enough. It was a fun event and I am grateful to have been included.

A character flaw of mine is premature evaluation of situation and context. Wisdom would delay for more data and interaction. Fortunately I offset to some degree with flexibility for adaption and change. So, with this labeled warning, I am disappointed with my language performance. I am having difficulty with understanding the spoken word. Seems very fast and with little separation of word. There is also a vocabulary contradiction on occasion. I get by only the detection of a word or two in context of event. I had believed Columbian Spanish would be easier to grasp.
My best opportunity has been playing with Lorena, the lively six-year old niece of my mother. She definitely is in control of the relationship. She is a good teacher, clearly demonstrating by action and verb together, repeatedly, to communicate. I imagine the social scientists do the same, teaching sign language to chimpanzees.
Perhaps, despite the language doubt, the real positive of these travels are the cultural experiences. It is obvious the closeness of family and friends. Smiles and lively conversations are everywhere, with concurrent kisses, hugs, hands held. All indicate a real closeness to time being spent together, rather than with things, which few seem to have in quantity. Hope that does not change.

I have not yet found much in architecture, park or plaza to draw my interest. I did ascend to a religious site Santuario de Monserrate in the mountains that overlook the city. Numerous tiles have been placed to give thanks to miracles attributed to their pilgrimage here. Rain prevented ideal photo opportunity. But, there is a pleasant garden walk that leads one past statutes that display the last events of Jesus’ life from trial to resurrection.

But an inside attraction in the city below which I visited were two art museums. The first, Museo de Botero, would satisfy one´s hunger for Botero´s amusing visual of all things in a weighty way – human, animal, fruit, musical instrument. Several rooms held pieces. However, my interest was drawn to other collections, of Dali, Chagall, Renoir, Picasso, even a sculpture by Degas, and a painting by Giacometti. I will return here again.

So, the exploration begins. My first week of classes starts this afternoon. Despite the hesitancy at this point, I can only proceed, be patient, and process as best I can. I am sure more awaits, and perhaps, a surprise or two will follow.

The world is too big to never ask why
The answers don´t fall straight out of the sky
If I am to live and feel alive
But I can´t feel a thing without others by my side
Send me out a lifeline
Send me out a lifeline . . . M.Kearney

2 comments:

Bruce H said...

Great photo from the overlook. Did you do any hang-gliding?

Dot and Cecil said...

Yes be patient and I'm certain you will,just takes a little time to get adjusted. Just continue to send us your wonderful pictures and share your memories with those of us who have never traveled to these beautiful places.

Hugs
Cecil and Dot