Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sucre 4/09/12





Had a bit of a jumpy week. There initially was a financial scare, but fortunately it can be resolved after my return. For a few days, the anxiety level challenged the Andean peaks. But, sometimes I am taken care of by the trust of others, and so all is well. So, finished upbeat with Pascua, the Easter weekend.

Good Friday evening I actually walked in a procession. I have observed others, but this was the first for me to walk within the crowd. I was never in a marching band, nor served in the military. I did march a few times in the 60´s antiwar protests. Plus, there have been numerous 10K, half and full marathon runs, but these have no similarity. With the protest marches there is some uniformity of committment, but chants, shouts, raised clinched fists and waving signs, just do not quite relate. Obvioulsy a more somber and less reactive flow of humanity stepped beside, behind and around the wooden carved images of Christ and Mary carried on the shoulders through the streets.

Crowd counting is not a skill set, but I have departed a few UT football games. I would say the numbers within the procession, along the streets and those awaiting anxiously in the plaza compared to the exodus of stadium exits. Considering the city is not much more than two hundred thousand, that makes a pretty good size participation.

I generally was beside the marching band that trailed the end of the procession. That way my steps generally matched the beat of the bass drum. I suppose the thoughts, emotions of each believer, shoulder to shoulder, tightly packed, varied. But, there were evident many who were certainly attached and sensitive to the moment, the scene and its representation , while others perhaps were fulfilling implied obligations of faith. For me, well I was curious to the impact of being near, yet open to the possibility of exposure, to what might happen if I let my self participate in the possibility.

Saturday, I left the house early to climb a nearby feature, maybe a little less than a 2,000 foot climb. Along the cobbled path are marked stages in memory of the last 13 stages of Christ´s life. I have seen similar marked walkways, the most impressive in Bogota. But, this was the longest, ending with a tall sculpture of Christ at the summit, overlooking the city, with a marvelous 360 degree view. Even with my early arrival at top, a number of others were, mostly Quechua, were there. Many created small rock altars against the foundation. Many had created small fires for these structures, imploring pardon or begging assistance. The typical mix of Christian and Quechua was visible. Several were passing around bottles of alcohol. Before each sip a few drops were poured on the ground for Pachamana, mother earth, under the outspread arms of Christ above.

Coming weekend is first bus trip.

If I could have the world and all it owns
A thousand kingdoms, a thousand thrones,
If all the earth were mine to hold
With wealth my only goal
I would spend my gold on selfish things
Without the love that your light brings.
Just a little bit more is all I´d need
Till life was torn from me.
I´d rather be in the palm of your hand
Though rich or poor I may be
Fate can see right through the circumstance
Sees the forest in spite of the trees
Your grace provides for me.
(Cox Family)

1 comment:

anna o'reilly said...

thanks for the vicarious trips to sucre. i wish i'd known more about the curanderas when i lived in mexico after college. i was too scientifically oriented. i had an invitation to study with one in nicaragua when i was there in 87. my gut didn't go along with the idea. anna