Tuesday, March 11, 2008

March 10, 2008

Okay, I am alive indeed and all is well. Some minor problemas, such as late flight arrival (3:00 AM) in a coastal barroom town of 3 million, and a hotel reservation that was lost, but they have been handled well enough. I am very immersed. I have had hardly a single minute to myself since I have arrived in Cuenca. Much to say from my observations, but I must skip much as my computer use is very uncertain. First limitation is time itself, second is access, and third is trying to learn how to use a computer in the southern half of the world. Keys do not work the same. I have yet to find the delete sign, and forget about spell check. I have not yet figured out how to input the ´at´ sign, so I may never get to read an email again while here. Needless to say, all the icons and indicators are in Spanish. I only hope I am saving this to the flashdrive.

I will skip description of Guayaquil, (but I will try and load photos to this sight) my initial arrival port. It deserves a separate book in itself. Instead I will go to Cuenca, my home for next two months. As noted, since my arrival on Friday night at 3:00 in the morning, three hours late, I have been with Spanish speakers almost every hour, excepting bedtime and shower of course. Thankfully my family waited for my late plane and did not give up on me. A beautiful family, Jorge, Sara, Maria Dolores at home, Monica, her husband, and ninos, Nicolas and Domenica outside. I have been fed so much I may get sick because of the volume, not the quality, which has been wonderful. I have had more fresh juices for meals than I knew there were fruits on the planet, and all freshly (fresca) made. No concentrates here. And complete meal, muchos platos. (many courses) I have been guided by hand to a tour of the city and surrounding area, given both direction and warning.

Of the city, what a joy. Much like Pagosa in setting, high in the mountains with a beautiful river through it, the Tomebamba. Climate is nearly the same as well, cool mornings, warm afternoons, excepting rain, which is often. However, the town is 400,000 personas, very packed. Riches and poverty intermixed without zoning laws. It seems people are everywhere, but in a pleasant way. Austin and its use of condos could take great lessons here. Transportation is a real sport. I have been told to avoid the busses, as not very professional. Indeed they seem to be looking for bodies. Only use approved yellow taxes, a ride through town, one dollar. However, most of my travels will be by foot. All transportation is risky. Everyone for themselves. No pedestrian rights here, few signals and signs ignored. As a walker, look for an opening and run. My advice, chase the rear bumper and by the time you get there the car will be gone and you will be half way there. That assumes there is not another behind. When there are lane makers, and very few exist, they mean nothing. Cars jockey for spots. Muchos pitos, that is, horns are a constant. Best I can tell is if there is any suggestion that someone in front or beside will impede your progress then honk. And, frequently honk just for the heck of it. So far, no bruises though. I wonder how the many children of the city make it to adulthood. I need to find out how many schools there are here and how the system works. All dress in uniforms, I assume each color is a different school. And there are many.

Churches everywhere and all beautiful. I attended a modern day catolica service for my first time with the family, and it rocked. Course I understood nada, though I could understand the written scripture of the program, a passage from Juan (John). But, churches are everywhere and I could consume two hundred photos of churches alone. If it is built, it will be a beautiful structure. Quite obviously the church is a central pride of the people.

The people are so interesting and beautiful. And animate. The men exressive with their hands and the ladies with their faces. You can guess the tone without one word understood. Very touching too. Arm in arm, very common. Even men arms around shoulders. For a guy who only found hugging comfortable near age of 50, getting used to the cheek to cheek greeting of woman to woman, woman to man, and child to all, will take time. Both greeting and departure. But, just a sign of the friendliness. And, despite the traffic, it seems everyone walks. The streets have people upon them from dawn to who knows how late. Works for me.

Must stop. Hope to find better access later and will try to find át´sign. Also, will make first attempt to load photos. Fingers crossed. Well I have tried to load photos. I think I succeeded with only one. I will need help. Maybe another time for photos, I hope.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you made it in one piece. By the way, have you heard of Rosetta Stone software? I hear that you can even learn Spanish with it. Was in Austin yesterday, tried to get there before you let, but not possible.

I on an excursion to Rowlett, TX for some fishing at Lake Fork with my kid. Hope to eat well also.

will stay in touch.

Bob (thebeachbum)

ronf said...

hey there,

Not sure if I have got this done yet. Looking forward to photos.

later, ron

Maria said...

Wally, what a beautiful part of the world, really enjoyed the description and the pictures. This article would sound really good in spanish too.
Maria