Monday, May 6, 2013

Chile 06 de Mayo 2013


The last two weeks have brought pleasures, but, with some exception, not quite as profound as others. For one, I went with my mother, her sister and brother-in-law and their granddaughter Flo (Florencia) to whom I gained a close attachment and affection, to the country home and farm of Hugo, the brother-in-law. Two hours south of Santiago, it was a tranquil and welcome escape to orchards, forests, vineyards and farm animals. The striking interruption in pease was the killing of a neighbor´s horse, which was apparently butchered for meat. I never did quite understand the whole story, but perhaps some ritual was also involved.
Back in Santiago I experienced my first earthquake, loosely so. Everybody else I had contact with discussed the tremor, and only I apparently “missed” the sensation. Only at breakfast did my mother tell me of the event. Certainly los Chilenos have a very sensitive feel for such due to their recent history of events.

I also revisited Valpairiso, noted in earlier blog memory. It was a surprisingly beautiful and warm day for this time of year. By myself, I utilized my flexibility to visit some of the galleries in the historic district. Located on the hillside, overlooking the ocean port, the cobbled streets, curving against the terrain, housing cafes, galleries, and hostels. It has attracted a bohemian type presence, altogether making for an enjoyable day. They also have an impressive art museum, a collection of European art by one of the successful citizens in years past.
This past week brought a change in my volunteer efforts. I switched to a place known as Coaniquem. This is a center for child burn victims, all services provided freely. First, it provides medical care for the young burn victims, which my extend over several years. In addition to medical care, of equal import is the psychological care given to both victim and family members. Since some of the children come from areas outside of Santiago, and since some of their care extends over several days, they must stay in residence. Coaniquem provides housing and accommodation for the child and one family member during the necessary time. Patients from other Latin countries are also received, and in total more patients are served here than at the Shriners in EEUU. It has been a wonderful experience, and my interaction has brought friendly smile, inclusion and interest for the stranger from outside.

The upcoming week is my last full one. I will try to make one final entry in summation prior to my return. It will certainly be positive after reflection. But, I am anxious to return and get into other things that I have put aside for the last months.
 


 

No comments: