Monday, April 22, 2013

Puerto Montt, Chiloe, Osorno, 22 de avril, 2013


 I am back from a three day visit to the Lake District of Chile, a two-hour flight south from Santiago. This is not the best time of the year to travel south. This area has 220 wet days annually. It did rain, but not enough to interrupt the visitation, it only diminished the quality of light exposure to photos. The area is heavily influenced by German presence as they began to arrive in the late 1800's. There is also sight of even earlier Jesuit presence. Unlike most Latin churches, which are usually extravegant in decoration, the Jesuit churches are more stoic. Equally well crafted, they are only more simply adorned, particularly inside. The area is also attractive to fish lovers. Chile is the world´s second leading exporter of salmon and I dined on it two of my three days. Loved it.

So, water is everywhere, either the sea or lakes. And, there are volcanoes, 2,000 of them up and down the cordillera. I am not sure how that number is derived, as we viewed one crater that was not much bigger than a sink hole. But, others are easily identifiable and deserving of inclusion.

My first day left me just enough time to get to Puerto Vara, a 20 minuted bus ride north of my stay in Puerto Montt (puerto = port). I had a weather opening that allowed me to take a few photos of Volcan Osorno, with Lago Llanqhuihue below. The volcano is known for its almost perfect cone shape.

The first full day was with a tour that took us to the island of Chiloe .A ferry ride took us from the mainland. We stopped at several villages, almost all on the edge of the sea. In Castro, the capital, was our longest stay to walk about and look. The most interesting to me was one of the Jesuit churches, most impressive due to the impact of the brilliant colors. This one and many others are often covered with sheet metal, I assume as a protective layer against the constant rain on the island. But, it takes a close inspection to distinguish the metal from other material. Another photo point was the palolitos, colorful homes built on stilts to rise above the ocean tides.  Both church and homes are UNESCO sites.
The Sunday after I accompanied a smaller group northward. The weather was less cooperative this day. And the vistas seen were expansive, so between the two obstacles it was difficult to get a true representative photo. Still, the area was beautiful. Continuous green, pastures (the milk industry here is strong) and lakes always nearby. We stopped by one waterfall where water was made turquoise by the minerals present. Next, was to Volcan Osorno, whose summit was hidden by cloud cover. But, the refugio near the top wa open to serve lunch, where I enjoyed by last opportunity to dine on salmon. Rico. We ate, drank Pisco Sour and Chilean wine and talked. Two of the group were Brasileanas, always fun to be around in my experiences. Little by little I understand more of the portuguesa and my fears have weakened to the point I may try that next, but not quite yet. Discussions of food, politics, taxes and cost of living occur in all languages and cultures.

The trip confirmed the travel book commentary on the diversity and beauty of Chile. I still have three weeks here, but even if nothing more occurs, it has been a true delight.

Sails are just like wings
And the wind can make them sing
Songs of life, songs of hope,
Songs to keep your dreams afloat.

Now shores, distant shores
There’s where I’m heading for
Got the stars t guide my way
And sail into the light of day.

I’m gonna build me a boat, with these two hands
It will be a fair curve from a noble plan
Let the chips fall where they will
‘Cause I’ve got boats to build.
(G. Clark)







No comments: