Sunday, April 12, 2009

Bariloche, April 12, 2009






That this posting appears is evidence that my self guided one-day tour with car rental was somewhat successful. Driving is DIFFERENT here. Lanes ar rarely divided and if one hestitates (como yo), or moves too slow, expect to be crowded over, one lane becoming two. This works in counter lines too. So, don't hesitate. As for velocidad, max is 60 km, but no one comes close to slowing that much. And, I´m not sure what the double yellow line is for. Gas ain't cheap either. I paid $30 American to add 3/4 tank to a 10-year old fiat sedan. Argentina does not import gas, but la gente here love to drive, if they can afford a vehicle. So, demand has not lessened and the price had not retreated.

Went through interesting countryside. Desert like flats, but mountains surrounding, somewhat like the background setting of an old Star Trek show. Destination was to a peninsula of Lake Nahual Haupi, a hugh and deep glacial lake. At the tip is an unusual woods. Finding it was nice, but the joy of walking was equally pleasant. Trail was excellent. Round trip was 15 miles, and don´t believe the entry sign saying three hour round trip. Nah. The bosque was wonderful, countless varieties, with the quiet muffled by the softness of the scene. Still, there were some small open spots where the sun reflected off of grass seemingly manicured, weedless, thick and short. At the end were the Anrayannes, trees unlike any other I have seen. A red and beige spotted trunk, pinto-pony like, with leaves similar to the Texas yaupon. A beautifully different speciman. I wish I had known my future difficulty, as I would have stayed far longer. Instead I hurried back with hopes of returning to Bariloche via a different route. But, I could not find access out of the busy touristy town of Angostura.

As it is everywhere, this weekend of Pascua is most important. Second only to navidad, this is a four day weekend, and Patagonia attracts folks from all over Argentina as well as Chile. Angostura and Bariloche are meccas. As it happened I did not find the route and returned early, but safe and secure.

Next day Saturday, I took an exursion to El Bolson. Most of Patagonia has only been settled in the last 100 years. El Bolson gots its life in the 70s by a bunch of Argentinian hippies. They are now elders, and the big attraction is a weekend market for artisans in the area. I enjoyed walking the booths, but not really that impressed with the quality. But, more importantly was the enjoyment of the countryside. Another one of those "most beautiful places I have ever seen". Lakes and lakes and lakes, all glacial, all blue, clean and deep. Colors are now showing in the area as fall is in progress. The most impressive of all are the brilliant yellows, blinding even, of the "Alamo". Yes, alamo, which is the spanish word for popular. Don´t recall seeing any in San Antonio. These are similar to ones in New Mexico, but these are actually healthy and vibrant. Definitely there is an idea for a painting in my photos.

Other stops were to a trout farm, and to a sweet factory. That is a factory that makes a variety of sweet products from its fruit orchards. Argentina, from my perspective likes two things to eat. Beef and sweets. Lots of both. Maybe a reason for the slight bulge in the waistline of the Argentinians, though a far comparison that us Americans.

Today went to mass in the cathedral, (photo posted earlier) here in Bariloche. Course I understood next to nada, but being in the presence on this holy day was important to me and I enjoyed. It is windy here today, cool enough for a jacket, though comfortably cool, for those who can understand. So, I am using the afternoon to post this. Anyone know if $120 American for a waist length 100% leather coat is a good deal? Anyway, ending my busy holiday. Only two weekends left, two weeks more of school. Not sure you can tell any difference, though there have been moments.

Good thing I am here, and not in Peru, which was my second choice (a maoist group murdered 13 soldiers this weekend). Could be interesting news tomorrow if Angle Cabrerra wins the Masters, he being Argentinian. Futbol news might temporarily take a second place for sport news.

1 comment:

Dot and Cecil said...

And of course, as you probably already know. Cabrerra did win the Masters, and what a great game it was. Their will most likely be dancing in the streets in his home country of Argentina.

Hugs to you, and don't forget my vino and chocolate.

Dot