Saturday, April 24, 2010

Clinica de San Juan, 2010





Not much to add this week. No trips since Lake Titicaca. That changes dramatically upcoming and final two weeks with Canyon de Colca and Machu Pichu. But, just in case anyone wonders if I am lost, needed to add a few comments.

So, other than study and travel, myh time has been partly devoted to volunteer work at a Children´s Clinic. Wonderful children, beautiful children, sad situations. In personal respect for their condition, I do not post photos of them. But, I will post photos of others not in the same circumstances.

“My children” have been abandoned by their family. Ages 3 to 15 they possess varying degrees of discapacidades (disabilities). Of the 40 to 50 in the section to which I provide time, only two small ones can walk without assistance. Most need sillas de ruedas (chairs with wheels). Possibly half cannot talk or express their needs. Many have minimal muscle control and cannot feed themselves.

Yet, despite all, they still shine “como un noche estrellada”, starry night. Several of the little girls have been given appropriate names such as Mira (sight), Luz (light) or my favorite little Quechua, Milagras (Miracles). When they recognize their amigo, the smile that comnes forth appears as the aura around the paintings of the Virgen Mary, found in all the iglesias in Sud America. It changes a dull day into Christmas morning.

I don´t do much. Mainly give attencion, where it is evident there is never going to be enough. That hurts. I also help feed those that need assistance. Almost 30 years since I have done that. Now that is a challenge. One incident really confused me. Lunch followed a day of excitement as the children received new shoes. You could feel their energy. Later, I was feeding a little pal Rodrigo. At first things went well, but then he began to cry, progressively louder, unceasing. I had no idea. Finally the director sensed the cause and removed his new shoes, yes, too tight. But, Rodrigo is one that cannot talk.

One more week with my little friends. I will miss them. I will wonder about their situation, their care, their future, and others that will follow. I will wonder if the runaway parents pause, remember, regret. Can it be possible to ever forget? How many others are there in the world? And how can we avoid them?

. . .
Life plays its tricks, some cruel but fair
And only a fool can pretend they don´t care.

When there´s too many memories for one heart to hold
Once a future so bright now seems so distant and cold
And the shadows grow long and your eyes look so old
When there´s too many memories for one heart to hold.

There are those moments and they just never fade
Like the look in (their) eyes and the way the light played
God moved in that moment and the angels all cried
And they gave you a memory that you´ll have till you die.

And there´s too many memories for one heart to hold
Once a future so bright now seems so distant and cold
And the shadows grow long and your eyes look so old
When there´s too many memories for one heart to hold.

S.Bruton

No comments: